Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Sunday Reading

SUNDAY, MARCH 07, 2010
Liturgical Year C
First Reading - Ex 3:1-8a,13-15

1. Now Moses was pasturing the sheep of his father-in-law Jethro, a priest of Midian. And when he had driven the flock into the interior of the desert, he came to the mountain of God, Horeb.
2. And the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. And he saw that the bush was burning and was not burnt.
3. Therefore, Moses said, “I will go and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.”
4. Then the Lord, discerning that he proceeded on to see it, called to him from the midst of the bush, and he said, “Moses, Moses.” And he responded, “Here I am.”
5. And he said: “Lest you should approach here, remove the shoes from your feet. For the place on which you stand is holy ground.”
6. And he said, “I am the God of your father: the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” Moses hid his face, for he dared not look directly at God.
7. And the Lord said to him: “I have seen the affliction of my people in Egypt, and I have heard their outcry because of the harshness of those who are over the works.
8. And knowing their sorrow, I have descended in order to free them from the hands of the Egyptians, and to lead them from that land into a good and spacious land, into a land which flows with milk and honey,
13. Moses said to God: “Behold, I will go to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ If they say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What shall I say to them?”
14. God said to Moses, “I AM WHO AM.” He said: “Thus shall you say to the sons of Israel: ‘HE WHO IS has sent me to you.’ ”
15. And God said again to Moses: “Thus shall you say to the sons of Israel: ‘The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is the name for me in eternity, and this is my memorial from generation to generation.

Psalm - Ps 103:1-4,6-8,11

1. To David himself. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and bless his holy name, all that is within me.
2. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and do not forget all his recompenses.
3. He forgives all your iniquities. He heals all your infirmities.
4. He redeems your life from destruction. He crowns you with mercy and compassion.
6. The Lord accomplishes mercies, and his judgment is for all who patiently endure injuries.
7. He has made his ways known to Moses, his will to the sons of Israel.
8. The Lord is compassionate and merciful, patient and full of mercy.
11. For according to the height of the heavens above the earth, so has he reinforced his mercy toward those who fear him.

Second Reading - 1 Cor 10:1-6,10-12

1. For I do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and they all went across the sea.
2. And in Moses, they all were baptized, in the cloud and in the sea.
3. And they all ate of the same spiritual food.
4. And they all drank of the same spiritual drink. And so, they all were drinking of the spiritual rock seeking to obtain them; and that rock was Christ.
5. But with most of them, God was not well-pleased. For they were struck down in the desert.
6. Now these things were done as an example for us, so that we might not desire evil things, just as they desired.
10. And you should not murmur, as some of them murmured, and so they perished by the destroyer.
11. Now all of these things happened to them as an example, and so they have been written for our correction, because the final age has fallen upon us.
12. And so, whosoever considers himself to be standing, let him be careful not to fall.

Gospel - Lk 13:1-9

1. And there were present, at that very time, some who were reporting about the Galileans, whose blood Pilate mixed with their sacrifices.
2. And responding, he said to them: “Do you think that these Galileans must have sinned more than all other Galileans, because they suffered so much?
3. No, I tell you. But unless you repent, you will all perish similarly.
4. And those eighteen upon whom the tower of Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they also were greater transgressors than all the men living in Jerusalem?
5. No, I tell you. But if you do not repent, you will all perish similarly.”
6. And he also told this parable: “A certain man had a fig tree, which was planted in his vineyard. And he came seeking fruit on it, but found none.
7. Then he said to the cultivator of the vineyard: ‘Behold, for these three years I came seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I have found none. Therefore, cut it down. For why should it even occupy the land?’
8. But in response, he said to him: ‘Lord, let it be for this year also, during which time I will dig around it and add fertilizer.
9. And, indeed, it should bear fruit. But if not, in the future, you shall cut it down.’ ”

No comments:

Post a Comment