Monday, December 30, 2013

Daily Prayer

She was advanced in years…

Loving Father,

I remember reading
that when Jesus died on the cross
only some ten percent of the
population was older than he was.

If that is so, I imagine that the prophetess
Anna did not know many people her own age.

Father, I am advancing in years.
That’s hard to even admit in a culture
that so values youth.
Aging scares me, but I also know
how lucky I am to have lived at all,
and to have reached the age I have.

Thank you, God, for the gift of my life.
Thank you for all the years I have had
and for whatever lies ahead.

Father, may the prophetess Anna
inspire me to know that I am never too old
to build a relationship with you,
never too old to recognize your Son
coming into the world,
and never too old to speak to the world
about Jesus, in my words and deeds.

Like Anna, and Jesus,
help me to grow in wisdom
and in the knowledge
that you are always with me.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment