Friday, February 25, 2011

Friendship!

Today's first reading goes over friends and who and what true friends are. It kind of made me take inventory and I really do not have a true friend so to speak outside of my wife. I have people I call friends but at the end of the day I find that I could not impose on them and I am not sure how they would respond at times of trouble.
I have always been kind if a loner and very guarded about who I allow in close. Even at work especially lately someone who I thought of as a close confidant has turned out to be a person who would and has thrown me under the bus to the point where the boss told him off about it.
I guess the friends I am trying to be close to is Jesus and of course God. What better friends always there for us always a rock to our problems, always willing to listen and provide answers in the words they have provided.
Here is the first reading from today read, reflect and enjoy the word of God.

Sirach 6:5-17

A kind mouth multiplies friends and appeases enemies, and gracious lips prompt friendly greetings. Let your acquaintances be many,but one in a thousand your confidant. When you gain a friend, first test him, and be not too ready to trust him. For one sort is a friend when it suits him, but he will not be with you in time of distress.

Another is a friend who becomes an enemy, and tells of the quarrel to your shame. Another is a friend, a boon companion, who will not be with you when sorrow comes. When things go well, he is your other self, and lords it over your servants; But if you are brought low, he turns against you and avoids meeting you.

Keep away from your enemies; be on your guard with your friends. A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter; he who finds one finds a treasure. A faithful friend is beyond price, no sum can balance his worth. A faithful friend is a life-saving remedy, such as he who fears God finds; For he who fears God behaves accordingly, and his friend will be like himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment