Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas is coming!

So here we are going down the stretch run to Christmas! Are you ready have you battled your way through the crowds at the mall to get the gifts you need to make everyone happy? Then are you ready for the Christmas marathon to start over again on the 26th for the coming Christmas? I guess thanks to the mass commercialization of Christmas this is what the Christmas message has become.

You know I am sad in a way about Christmas yes sad! Sad to see how the "holiness" of the season has disappeared where it is not called Christmas anymore but a holiday. A holiday that now is becoming a day off with no meaning a day with less significance than lets say Thanksgiving. Yes watching the meaning of Christmas literally beaten out of Christmas has been sad. I almost relate this to when Jesus was crucified and watching the painfully as this ends. Are we soon going to have to phone in sick to work to be able to celebrate Christmas? Probably not but will we be chastised for celebrating Christmas? I do not know other than I am sad, confused and angry about this holiday. I am sad and angry that for so many years I overlooked the meaning of Christmas and now as I start to understand I see that it is eroding away in today's society. Angry at various groups who are offended by a Christmas tree by the words Merry Christmas or by even hearing about the birth of our saviour Jesus. Yes it is sad.

I think through this Advent season of preparing I finally started to see what is being taken away more than what we should be receiving. The worst thing I have come to realize and I am having trouble with is it will only get worse as I alluded to above. Certainly a sad statement on the world today.

No matter I will still celebrate Christmas as Christmas and will be proud of the fact that I will celebrate it as such. We will have our traditional Christmas Eve meal with family around and enjoying each others company and going to midnight mass to celebrate the arrival of the baby Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment