Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday Reading

August 16
Sunday

20th Sunday in Ordinary Time

1st Reading: Pro 9:1-6
Wisdom has built her house
set upon seven pillars;
she has slaughtered her beasts,
prepared her wine and laid her table.
Next, she sent her servants to call
from the central square of the city,
"Pass by here, you who are fools."
To the senseless she says,
"Come, eat and drink
of the bread and wine I have prepared.
Give up your foolishness and you will live;
take the straight path of discernment. "

Responsorial Psalm
Ps 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7

R.
Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
I will bless the LORD at all times;
his praise shall be ever in my mouth.
Let my soul glory in the LORD;
the lowly will hear me and be glad.
R.
Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
Glorify the LORD with me,
let us together extol his name.
I sought the LORD, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
R.
Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
Look to him that you may be radiant with joy,
and your faces may not blush with shame.
When the poor one called out, the LORD heard,
and from all his distress he saved him.
R.
Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.

2nd Reading: Eph 5:15-20
Pay attention to how you behave. Do not live as the unwise do, but as responsible persons. Try to make good use of the present time, because these days are evil. So do not be foolish but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Do not get drunk: wine leads to levity; but be filled with the Holy Spirit. Gather together to pray with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and celebrate the Lord in your heart, giving thanks to God the Father in the name of Christ Jesus, our Lord, always and for everything.


Gospel: Jn 6:51-58
Jesus said to the crowds, "I am the living bread which has come from heaven; whoever eats of this bread will live forever. The bread I shall give is my flesh and I will give it for the life of the world."
The Jews were arguing among themselves, "How can this man give us flesh to eat?" So Jesus replied, "Truly, I say to you, if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. The one who eats my flesh and drinks my blood live with eternal life and I will raise him up on the last day.
My flesh is really food and my blood is drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood, live in me and I in them. Just as the Father, who is life, sent me and I have life from the Father, so whoever eats me will have life from me. This is the bread which came from heaven; unlike that of your ancestors, who ate and later died. Those who eat this bread will live forever."


No comments:

Post a Comment