Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sunday Reading

Ezk2:2-52

Cor12:7-10

Mk6:1-6

July5
Sunday

14thSunday in Ordinary Time

1stReading: Ezk 2:2-5
A spirit came upon me as he spoke and kept me standing and then I heard him speak,
"Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, to a people who have rebelled against me; they and their fathers have sinned against me to this day. Now I am sending you to these defiant and stubborn people to tell them `this is the Lord Yahweh's word.'
So, whether they listen or not this set of rebels will know there is a prophet among them.

Psalm123:1-4

1To thee I lift up my eyes, O thou who art enthroned in the heavens!
2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our God, till he have mercy upon us.
3Have mercy upon us, O LORD, have mercy upon us, for we have had more than enough of contempt.
4 Too long our soul has been sated with the scorn of those who are at ease, the contempt of the proud.

2ndReading: 2 Cor 12:7-10
However, I better give up lest somebody think more of me than what is seen in me or heard from me. Lest I become proud after so many and extraordinary revelations, I was given a thorn in my flesh,a true messenger of Satan, to slap me in the face. Three times prayed to the Lord that it leave me, but he answered, "My grace isenough for you; my great strength is revealed in weakness."
Gladly, then, will I boast of my weakness that the strength of Christ may be mine. So I rejoice when I suffer infirmities, humiliations, want, persecutions: all for Christ! For when I am weak,then I am strong.


Gospel:Mk 6:1-6
Jesus returned to his own country, and his disciples followed him. When the Sabbath came, he began teaching in the synagogue, and most of those who heard him were astonished. They commented, "How did this come to him? What kind of wisdom has been given to him that he also performs such miracles? Who is he but the carpenter, the son of Mary and the brother of James and Joset and Judas and Simon? His sisters, too, are they not here among us?" So they took offense at him.
And Jesus said to them, "Prophets are despised only in their own country, among their relatives and in their own family." And he could work no miracles there, but only healed a few sick people by laying his hands on them. Jesus himself was astounded at their unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment