Sunday, June 14, 2009

HelpingOut

Yesterday turned out to be quite busy. After starting my yearly medical on Monday I went for blood work and a x-ray yesterday morning so I don't lose more time at work and have to listen to the boss about people missing time for medical appointments. Also Father B had asked for volunteers for yesterday to help set up for the procession we will have the church grotto and we had to put up tents in the courtyard and some quick cleaning. First it was to be in the afternoon and then it became the morning so needless to say a lot of running around.
Father B was very happy to see my wife and myself as we arrived. Somehow he likes us because I guess we help out we ask for nothing in return we do not ask for recognition we do not want positions of power in the parish politics we do it because we feel we should help out because we are not only helping the priest the parish but in some small way we are also helping God and Jesus.
We put up the tents etc. and then one of the ladies who kind of looks after certain day to day chores and decorates the alter etc. asked me to go get some beer and sent my wife out for some food so we could have a small lunch for those who did help. I though through the hours I was there I was able to get a sense of Father B's frustration with the parish locals. Like he said 6 men to put up a tent 6 ways to do it and 5 will be upset it was not done to their specifications.
Father B asked about my feelings about the mass with the Bishop from Hungary and I told him it was beautiful, well run well planned out and he was pleased to hear this. I then asked him if he was being reassigned elsewhere and all he said but with a very coy face that that was a secret. Truthfully I think he will be leaving soon and then what will happen I have no clue as I guess there is a possibility the new priest will get thrown to the wolves when he arrives and this could start the death march for the parish.
As Father B said it is the parish groups that dictate to what the parish church should be doing and not the other way. The one example he touched on was the Hungarian Scouting group and the Hungarian school how none of those kids attend mass nor are they asked to. But the Scouts and the school try to tell Father B how to run the church and mass. Father B said this will be the downfall of all Hungarian churches outside of Hungary as there is no young people coming in to replace the older generation and with the change in politics and the downfall of communism there is no exodus to leave Hungary so again no new blood coming through. I did admit to being guilty also for ignoring the Hungarian church for so long and not taking my kids to the church and having them learn about the church and God and Jesus. Father B forgave and said I made some amends by coming back myself and with my wife and that this was 2 more sheep for the small flock than he had before.
So as you can see an eventful day but a day where I did feel a little bit more accepting of my journey back and then now the guilt of my selfish struggle about Father B possibly leaving has taken an occasional hold in me. I know he has worked hard and deserved to be reassigned back to Hungary especially with his mother being ill but then I get selfish as I worry about what will happen to me? I know I have to accept what the Lord will have in store for me. The Lord got me to this parish for a reason and he will be providing me with more challenges for me as I continue on.
Until next time take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment