Saturday, April 18, 2009

After Easter

Hopefully you all had a wonderful and joyous Easter. I certainly did and for what ever reason this year through Easter I started not only to understand the readings more I also seemed to absorb them more than before. I am not sure if this makes sense to you but it does to me.
Father B had the church looking good and everybody on board for readings and helping out. In fact he even emailed the whole powerpoint display to me for the Saturday night mass as it was long and I had to make sure I had the right screen up at the right time. It helped and everything worked to perfection.
As mentioned I seemed to absorb more this year than ever before and found myself thinking about what and why Jesus did for us and what he sacrificed for us and the pain we put him through. It really somehow was astounding for me to think this way but it did getting me thinking more and more about the church, the scriptures and Jesus. Maybe I have turned a corner?
Just for some thinking as to where we are in the world today and how the church is really under attack especially here in North America the first reading today does have some meaning in relation to that. Read through, digest and think about how this passage applies today.

1st Reading: Acts 4:13-21
The leaders, elders, and scribes were astonished at the boldness of Peter and John, considering that they were uneducated and untrained men. They recognized, also, that they had been with Jesus, but, as the man who had been cured stood beside them, they could make no reply.
So they ordered them to leave the council room while they consulted with one another. They asked, "What shall we do with these men? Everyone who lives in Jerusalem knows that a remarkable sign has been given through them, and we cannot deny it. But to stop this from spreading any further among the people, let us warn them never again to speak to anyone in the name of Jesus." So they called them back and charged them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus.
But Peter and John answered them, "Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's eyes for us to obey you rather than God. รข€‰We cannot stop speaking about what we have seen and heard." Then the council threatened them once more and let them go. They could find no way of punishing them because of the people who glorified God for what had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment