Monday, March 23, 2009

Parish Politics

So I went to mass Sunday morning as always looking forward to mass. I attend a small Hungarian parish close to my home and help out a little and my wife also reads once a month.
I always knew there was some politics and last year when Father B invited me in to run the power point during mass he eluded to what he was going through.
We yesterday at the end of mass he dropped what I at least was a bombshell. He had a letter read by the bishop of our diocese which of course was in English. After the letter pertaining to Lent and fasting on Friday and sacrifice Father B mentioned that next time someone does not understand what he is doing at mass to talk to him prior to lodging complaints with the Bishop who apparently found the complaint annoying.
Now I am not professing to be any form of theologian nor do I completely know what and how a mass should be run but I certainly enjoy what Father B does and how he does it. He does to keep the traditions of Hungary alive in the form of doing what is still done in the Hungarian church even today. I know he does well at this as I attended mass last summer in 2 different churches but there was no real difference between the 2 churches.
As mentioned Father B eluded to em the complications of some not all people at the parish, The ones who apparently want to dictate how the mass should be done what is to be in the mass what hymns and according to Father B even down to what and how the readings are to be done.
Truly unbelievable! I told Father B last year that there is no difference really in many parishes as the one I had left was the same way. I told Father B to go with his heart and to continue not to take any BS from these handful of "Catholics". Of course he knows that this is one of the reasons he is not liked by some at the parish because he won't give in when it comes to the church and the mass.
I will try to dig deeper next week as I am interested in what the complaint is about but certainly any complaint against father B is unwarranted and unjustified. At the end of the day Father B is a simple devoted man of god. Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment