Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Sunday Reading

First Reading - Gen 15:5-12,17-18

5. And he brought him outside, and he said to him, “Take in the heavens, and number the stars, if you can.” And he said to him, “So also will your offspring be.”
6. Abram believed God, and it was reputed to him unto justice.
7. And he said to him, “I am the Lord who led you away from Ur of the Chaldeans, so as to give you this land, and so that you would possess it.”
8. But he said, “Lord God, in what way may I be able to know that I will possess it?”
9. And the Lord responded by saying: “Take for me a cow of three years, and a she-goat of three years, and a ram of three years, also a turtle-dove and a pigeon.”
10. Taking all these, he divided them through the middle, and placed both parts opposite one another. But the birds he did not divide.
11. And birds descended upon the carcasses, but Abram drove them away.
12. And when the sun was setting, a deep sleep fell upon Abram, and a dread, great and dark, invaded him.
17. Then, when the sun had set, there came a dark mist, and there appeared a smoking furnace and a lamp of fire passing between those divisions.
18. On that day, God formed a covenant with Abram, saying: “To your offspring I will give this land, from the river of Egypt, even to the great river Euphrates:

Psalm - Ps 27:1,7-9,13-14

1. The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?
7. Hear my voice, O Lord, with which I have cried out to you. Have mercy on me, and hear me.
8. My heart has spoken to you; my face has sought you. I yearn for your face, O Lord.
9. Do not turn your face away from me. In your wrath, do not turn aside from your servant. Be my helper. Do not abandon me, and do not despise me, O God, my Saviour.
13. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
14. Wait for the Lord, act manfully; and let your heart be strengthened, and remain with the Lord.

Second Reading - Phil 3:17-4:1

17. Brothers and Sisters: Be imitators of me, brothers, and observe those who are walking similarly, just as you have seen by our example.
18. For many persons, about whom I have often told you (and now tell you, weeping,) are walking as enemies of the cross of Christ.
19. Their end is destruction; their god is their belly; and their glory is in their shame: for they are immersed in earthly things.
20. But our way of life is in heaven. And from heaven, too, we await the Savior, our Lord Jesus Christ,
21. who will transform the body of our lowliness, according to the form of the body of his glory, by means of that power by which he is even able to subject all things to himself.
1. And so, my most beloved and most desired brothers, my joy and my crown: stand firm in this way, in the Lord, most beloved.

Gospel - Lk 9:28b-36

28b.he took Peter and James and John, and he ascended onto a mountain, so that he might pray.
29. And while he was praying, the appearance of his countenance was altered, and his vestment became white and shining.
30. And behold, two men were talking with him. And these were Moses and Elijah, appearing in majesty.
31. And they spoke of his departure, which he would accomplish at Jerusalem.
32. Yet truly, Peter and those who were with him were weighed down by sleep. And becoming alert, they saw his majesty and the two men who were standing with him.
33. And it happened that, as these were departing from him, Peter said to Jesus: “Teacher, it is good for us to be here. And so, let us make three tabernacles: one for you, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” For he did not know what he was saying.
34. Then, as he was saying these things, a cloud came and overshadowed them. And as these were entering into the cloud, they were afraid.
35. And a voice came from the cloud, saying: “This is my beloved son. Listen to him.”
36. And while the voice was being uttered, Jesus was found to be alone. And they were silent and told no one, in those days, any of these things, which they had seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment